The BC Society of Rheumatologists (BCSR) is the professional organization that represents rheumatologists in the Province of British Columbia and strives to promote the highest standards of arthritis care through physician leadership.
The BCSR was established on July 31, 1991 by Dr. Stanley Fenton, Dr. Milton Baker, Dr. Graham Reid and Dr. Barry Koehler.
Currently, the BCSR represents approximately 50 rheumatologists across the Province in such communities as Vancouver, Victoria, Nanaimo, Kamloops, Kelowna, and Cranbrook, to name but a few. The focus of the BCSR is to advance the scientific, educational, and professional needs of rheumatologists in BC in order that the rheumatology needs of the population of BC be better served.
The BCSR aims to advance the integrity and honour of the medical profession as well as advocate for the highest quality of health care delivery for the people of BC suffering from rheumatologic diseases.
The BCSR collaborates closely with a number of professional groups including:
- Doctors of BC (formerly The BC Medical Association)
- The University of British Columbia Division of Rheumatology
- The Arthritis Society of BC
- The Canadian Rheumatology Association (CRA)
- The BC Ministry of Health and BC Pharmacare
The BSCR periodically publishes a member newsletter that includes highlights of Society activities, important updates on government and Pharmacare issues in BC as well as current news pertaining to rheumatology in the Province.
Newsletters commonly feature topics including:
- Meeting news
- Developments with fee and billing changes
- Updates on access to Pharmacare medications
- Innovation in arthritis care and practice