The BC Society of Rheumatologists’ initiatives focus on two key areas:
- patient access to rheumatology care in the province; and
- enhanced support for community rheumatologist practices through nursing services and office efficiency.
The Society partnered with virtual care software provider Medeo in 2018 to provide telehealth capabilities to 19 BC rheumatologists. The initiative is enabled by a special projects grant from Abbvie Canada.
Medeo’s software is web-based and can be used by any patient with an internet connection on any computer, smartphone or tablet.
The goal of this partnership is to improve access to care to all patients, especially those with disabilities or who live remotely.
The following rheumatologists are involved in this pilot project:
Dr. Neda Amiri, Dr. Jon Chan, Dr. David Collins, Dr. Anne Marie Colwill, Dr. Natasha Deghan, Dr. Navjot Dhindsa, Dr. John Esdaile, Dr. Cathy Flanagan, Dr. Iman Hemmati, Dr. Simon Huang, Dr. Shahin Jamal, Dr. Jason Kur, Dr. Alison Kydd, Dr. Brent Ohata, Dr. Michael Ramsden, Dr. Graham Reid, and Dr. Kam Shojania.
If you are a patient of one of these rheumatologists and are interested in the telehealth option, please contact their clinic directly.
Wait Times Project
In an effort to improve access to rheumatologic care, the BCSR periodically surveys its members to identify those who may have shorter wait times for routine referrals.
Please note that all rheumatologists prioritize referrals for inflammatory disease (e.g. rheumatoid arthritis).
The following members, listed with their referral fax numbers, have been identified as having wait times typically less than three months for routine rheumatologic referrals:
- Dr. Carson Chin (604-566-0079)
- Dr. Rolfe Luongo (604-431-8841)
- Dr. Brent Ohata (604-453-0329)
- Dr. E. Markus Klaus (604-392-9911)
- Dr. Michael Ramsden (604-526-2279)
- Dr. Mitchell Uh (604-553-0954)
- Dr. Neda Amiri (604-770-4054)
- Dr. Shannon Galway (604-984-7672)
- Dr. Iman Hemmati (604-983-8123)
- Dr. Greg Marcotte (250-562-5995)
- Dr. J. Antonio Avina-Zubieta (604-207-4057)
- Dr. John Esdaile (604-207-4058)
- Dr. James Yeung (604-285-8765)
- Dr. Shagha Khayambashi (778-574-1414)
- Dr. Navjot Dhindsa (604-688-6688)
- Dr. Kenneth Blocka (604-669-7157)
- Dr. Mollie Carruthers (604-876-1716)
- Dr. Jonathan Chan (604-872-1158)
- Dr. David Collins (604-875-8270)
- Dr. Natasha Dehghan (604-428-4555)
- Dr. Iman Hemmati (604-738-1587)
- Dr. Shahin Jamal (604-875-5992)
- Dr. Alice Klinkhoff (604-871-4501)
- Dr. Graham Reid (604-875-1670)
- Dr. Max Sun (604-872-1158)
- Dr. Alfonso Verdejo (604-688-6714)
- Artus Health Centre Rapid Access Clinic (604-875-0890)
- Dr. Milton Baker (250-721-4730)
- Dr. Satish Rachapalli (250-598-7138)
- Dr. David Shaw (250-940-1670)
- Dr. John Watterson (250-940-1667)
The Society has been working with rheumatologists in BC to assist the implementation of nursing multidisciplinary care.
Rheumatology nursing serves to increase the ability of rheumatologists to see inflammatory patients appropriately and augment the care currently offered to individuals with chronic autoimmune diseases.
Office Practice Sessions
Office practice sessions for rheumatologists and their staff to improve efficiencies in rheumatology have been organized by the BCSR in Vancouver, Kelowna, and Victoria.
New sessions are periodically announced to members via email.